A kid-friendly snack, these vegetarian and vegan veggie roll ups are both delicious and healthy. They double as a party appetizer for adults!
Since we just had a little one, you’re probably expecting some kid-friendly recipes on A Couple Cooks, right? Though our baby is just 3 months, we’re starting early: and this one is friendly for both kids and adults! It’s a tasty, veggie-filled snack that’s fully plant-based (vegan), contains no sugar, and is simple to whip up. And honestly, we couldn’t stop eating these veggie roll ups ourselves. Keep reading for the veggie roll ups recipe, and more about feeding littles!
This hummus and veggie roll ups recipe is in honor of National Eat More Fruits and Vegetables Day, a holiday to encourage greater produce consumption to both combat and prevent disease. It’s also in honor of a fun initiative called Fuel Up with Dole, designed to make it easier for families to plan healthier road trips and summer vacations. The initiative kicks off today, and features character recipes, vacation nutrition tips, a family photo contest with prizes, and other fun activities inspired by Disney Pixar’s Cars 3 arriving in theaters June 16. You can enter the Fuel Up with Dole Sweepstakes today through July 19.
Our niece, Julia, and nephew, Miles, are huge Cars fans, and 7-year-old Julia loves to create her own recipes. So, we thought we’d consult with them for ideas on a healthy road trip snack that uses fruits and vegetables. Some of their brainstorms? Apples and grapes with cinnamon on top, strawberry cheesecake sandwiches, and peanut butter tortilla roll ups. Using the roll up idea, Alex and I created a savory rollup, using hummus for the base and sliced veggies on the inside. Since the veggie content is fairly light, we’d also recommend cutting up some carrot sticks and cauliflower florets to eat alongside. However, it’s a novel way for kids to get their veggies that’s clean and wholesome. Oh, and you could serve it with cinnamon-dusted fruit slices too!
- 4 large Dole® carrots
- 1 large head Dole® broccoli
- 1 small head Dole® cauliflower
- 3 green onions
- 8 8-inch whole wheat or multigrain tortillas
- 8 ounces (1 cup) high quality hummus*, purchased or homemade
- Peel and shred the carrots, using a julienne peeler or box grater. Slice the tops off of the broccoli and the cauliflower into very small pieces (as shown in the photograph). Thinly slice the green onions.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of hummus onto a tortilla in a thin layer. Sprinkle another thin layer vegetables on top, taking care not to overfill and leaving the very top of the tortilla without vegetables (as shown in the photograph). Starting from the bottom of the circle, tightly roll the tortilla; as you roll to the top, the vegetables will naturally move up and distribute evenly through the rollup. Use a serrated knife to cut the roll into 6 or 8 pieces. If desired, spear with toothpicks. Refrigerate until serving.
The overall flavor is highly dependent on the brand of hummus; make sure to use a high quality brand that you love.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/vegetable-hummus-tortilla-rollups/