Grilled apples make the best summer dessert! Grill them with sugar and spices until tender, then serve them with “a la mode” with melty vanilla ice cream.
Here’s one of the best desserts out there: grilled apples! It’s carefree, easy, and a la mode (which makes everything better). Thinly slice those apples and throw them in a foil packet with sugar and spices. The grill turns them tender and velvety, with subtle nuance of smoke. Top with melty vanilla ice cream, and well: it doesn’t get any better than this! It’s easy to make up a packet and cook it while prepping the rest of a grilled dinner. When you’re ready for dessert: pop open the packet and get out some forks!
Grilled apples don’t need much to taste incredible: just sugar and spices! These apples are just sweet enough, because they’re designed to be covered in melty ice cream. Here’s what you need to make grilled apples:
- 2 firm tart-sweet apples (like Honey Crisp, Jonathon, Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, etc)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or coconut oil for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- For serving: Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (or vegan whipped cream)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees).
- Cut the apples into 1/4” slices (no need to peel unless you want to). Place the apples on a large piece of aluminum foil. Top with the butter, cut into thin pats, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Toss them with your fingers to combine. Seal the packet by placing another piece of foil on top and poke holes in it with a fork (to allow moisture to escape).
- Grill over indirect heat for 20 to 25 minutes until the apples are fork tender. Top with ice cream and serve (either right on the foil, or place in bowls or on plates).
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/grilled-apples/